Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hardware Stores

You know, you can find amazing things at hardware stores. The versatility of building products is huge. I have worked with many students with autism. One thing that can be challenging is when the child folds, eats, or lacks the fine motor to pick up the picture icons. I have tried placing the icons on pieces of wood, tile, and other thicker objects. This is my favorite so far. I purchased sticky-back floor linoleum squares. Each square was about $1.00. Then I printed off my pictures, laminated them and stuck them to the floor linoleum. The nice thing about floor linoleum is that you can create any size of picture icon small to huge because the linoleum can be cut easily to size. To cut the linoleum I would recommend using a razor blade because it gives a more precise cut. Scissors sometimes create cracks in the linoleum. The icons are now a little thicker, sturdier, and easier to pick up.

Floor linoleum - Laminated Boardmaker Icons
2 1/2 inch by 2 1/2 inch


No comments:

Post a Comment