Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sight Word Practice

Sight Words & Pictures - Edmark Words, Boardmaker Pics
I am always trying to find ways to include generalization throughout the classroom, of skills my students are learning. I use various reading programs with my students including Reading A-Z, Reading Milestones, Zoo-Phonics, and Edmark. Students learn differently so what works for one students will not necessarily work for another that is why my toolbox of programs is so full. This task is placed in my independent work area (TEACCH) The task is to match the sight word to the picture. You can also have the students paperclip the match together to add a fine motor skill.

**Many students who are non-verbal are not challenged to their fullest potential. I initially made these cards with words and pictures to see if my students who could not speak were actually reading the words. To my great enjoyment 2 of my kiddos had been introduced to language enough that they had a large sight word vocabulary. When you are working with a child who is non-verbal you can ask them to hand you a particular word to check for receptive understanding and then you can have them match the word and picture together to check for expressive language. This is an amazing skill because it opens doors for children who are non-verbal. This skill plays into AAC (Augmentative Alternative Communication), social skills, self esteem, and so much more. Make sure you are always pushing the boundaries of your students. Just because a child cannot verbalize does not mean that they are not understanding. You just have to find the way for them to express what they know.  

No comments:

Post a Comment