Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Vehicle Matching

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com

When I teach a math concept I always begin with manipulatives so that the students understand the hands on applications of math. I have come up with other ways to use the manipulatives for independent work in my TEACCH system. Using an Excel spreadsheet I created the graph below. The task shown here requires the student to read the word "fire truck" and "purple" then place the purple fire truck in the correating square. By the end all the boxes are filled with vehicles.

Ways that I have increased the difficulty: 1. I have a version that does not have any pictures. 2. The color words are all in black and white. 3. Create a larger grid so there are more words and options. 4. Use a variety of manipulatives such as different animals, vehicles, food, etc. 5. You can also include a size category. Some of the maniuplatives such as the teddy bear counters come in various sizes and colors. Then you would work with an additional variable which would be size.

Lakeshore Learning http://www.lakeshorelearning.com has wonderful manipulatives for math.

For a printable version of this activity: Click Here
Vehicle Manipulative TEACCH Activity

No comments:

Post a Comment