Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Comprehension Checks

TEACCH Comprehension Check


TEACCH - Comprehension Check
When working with children with disabilities we want to challenge them as much as possible and not become stagnant. I found that even if my students were reading their comprehension was typically an area where they struggled. I have been trying to create ways to work on "WH" questions independently (TEACCH) I used simple pictures (the ones shown here are from Boardmaker). Then I asked between 5-8 questions. These cards are printed on a half sheet of card stock paper and laminated. I place a different card in my TEACCH system each day. The student gets the card and either a visa-vi marker or a separate sheet of paper to answer the questions.

These cards are working very well and I want to expand on this skills. So here are a few more ideas. One you could use photos of the students in your class, you could cut pictures out of magazines, or download photos from the Internet to ask questions about. To make this skill more complex I would use a photo and then write a short 5 sentence paragraph to ask the questions about. For example you could use a picture of a boy, cat, and bird and say, "My name is Eric, yesterday a bird flew into my house. My cat chased the bird. I ran to the door. I opened the door. The bird flew out the door and into the tree." Then you could ask questions such as, "who opened the door?" "Where did the bird fly?" This would work on more in depth comprehension. Make sure the text is on a level that the student can read independently.
TEACCH - Comprehension Check

No comments:

Post a Comment