Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sensory Painting with Sand

Glue and Blue Sand
My students were learning about the letter Ss. I decided to have them paint with sand. Using wax paper have them squeeze Elmer's Glue into a design on their paper. They can create shapes, letters, numbers, or just swirly lines. Make sure everything is connected with a thick amount of glue. Then I put decorator sand into small containers so the kids could sprinkle it over their design. I helped them move the sand around by shaking the sand across all the glue. Remove excess sand. Let dry. Once it is completely dry you can peel off the glue/sand design. The end result is tactile and fun. Some other uses for sand: I made letters, printed on card stock, laminated and then traced the letters with glue and sprinkled with sand so that the kids had textured letters. You can also make numbers, shapes, and words.  

No comments:

Post a Comment