Friday, October 8, 2010

Story - Field Trip Nightmare

I had just started my student teaching, in a high school in Salt Lake. After I had been in the classroom for a few weeks the special education teacher sent me alone with our students, all 16 of them to their job site at Target. These students knew their jobs and worked hard. When it was time to leave we piled on the bus and headed back to school. Once in the classroom I realized that I was missing a student. Oh my stars! How could I have left a student. I was certain that this action alone would get me thrown out of the education program. I told the special education teacher what I had done, she laughed and told me to jump in my car and get back there to pick up the missing student. By now I am freaking out, sweating, and about ready to scream. I walked into Target and there she was still bagging up products. She hadn't even moved. Bless her work ethic and focus. This was the experience that taught me to do multiple head counts on field trips. I never lost a student again.

No comments:

Post a Comment