Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hide and Strength

I have been working with a few kids that lack fine motor strength. Each week we try different fine motor strengthening exercises. My new favorite that is highly motivating is to hide a desired toy inside theraputty. One child I work with loves cars. I let him watch me wrap his theraputty all around the car. Then he had to work his little fingers to unwrap the car. We started off with the softest theraputty and are gradually working up in strength levels. He found the car and was so excited. To my surprise he folded the putty back over the car and hid it so he could find the car again.

This idea of hiding items in theraputty I have used in the past with my TEACCH tasks. I hid pegs from peg boards. The students task was to find all the pegs and pull them out of the theraputty. I have hid small plastic animals in the theraputty. The task is simply to find and remove all items from the theraputty.

No comments:

Post a Comment